EDUCATIONJohn Marshall Law School, L.L.M. (Intellectual Property)
John Marshall Law School, J.D.
University of California at San Diego, B.A.
1155 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004
T: 202.683.8929 | F: 202.280.1393
Mark Shkolnik’s practice focuses on serving as Outside General Counsel and Intellectual Property Counsel for small and midsize growth companies. For nearly 25 years, clients have counted on Mr. Shkolnik to provide practical solutions to complex business problems. ‘Practical’ means legal solutions that achieve business objectives, advice that is timely and clear, and costs that are reasonable. Mr. Shkolnik’s broad-based experience helps him to identify issues other lawyers commonly overlook or underestimate as insignificant. Mr. Shkolnik handles a variety of matters, including business formation, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, real estate, commercial agreements, and dispute resolution. Intellectual property assets often comprise a significant portion of his clients’ value. Mr. Shkolnik helps clients to aggressively protect that intellectual property. He holds a Master’s Degree in Intellectual Property Law and has, throughout his career, assisted intellectual-property-rich companies to register, license and enforce their most valuable brands, technologies and creative works. In addition, Mr. Shkolnik has helped many clients win favorable settlements in their intellectual property disputes, typically before a lawsuit is filed, thereby avoiding costly litigation. As one of his longtime clients wrote, “I have dealt with plenty of the top twenty law firms and experienced many frustrations, primarily due to their inability to accommodate business needs with legal solutions. Your ability to quickly understand our business and priorities eliminated this frustration and has led to many quick and profitable results.”
- Successfully managed trademark portfolio of $300M Revenue national industrial products company by registering marks, stopping infringement by competitors, defending Oppositions and managing/settling trademark litigation.
- Successfully defended and settled trademark Opposition by international fitness company against local startup company client.
- Successfully negotiated licenses of internationally-known trademarks for national housewares wholesaler.
- Successfully represented various clients overcome the U.S. Trademark Office refusals to register their marks because of alleged “likelihood of confusion,” “descriptiveness” and other substantive objections.
- Successfully represented national software company by drafting and negotiating technology license and services agreements.
- Successfully represented national on-line marketer of retail fixtures by negotiating various in-bound and out-bound technology licenses.
- Successfully helped office-products manufacturer to achieve a multi-step reorganization and sale of the company, including prior sale of a division, spin-off of another division, purchase of affiliated companies, and the sale of certain commercial real estate.
- Successfully represented national housewares manufacturer in its reorganization, including negotiating employee stock grants and securing financing.
- Successfully represented national real estate technology-services consulting firm in its recapitalization and reorganization including changes in ownership and issuance of Unit options.
- Successfully assisted national wholesaler by negotiating the recovery of $1M Accounts Receivables from its customers.
- Successfully represented national office-products manufacturer by negotiating and drafting various commercial real estate purchase & sale agreements, leases, subleases and easements.
- Successfully represented national environmental consulting/remediation company by negotiating and drafting various agreements including consulting services agreements, sub-contractor agreements, a trademark co-existence agreement and a contract dispute settlement agreement.
- Successfully represented commercial real estate REIT by evaluating the environmental risks associated with a proposed 300-property acquisition.